Now that Autumn is getting underway I have started to think about (shhhhh…) Christmas. I like to give people homemade presents and I really like to gift things that are made with home-grown produce. So, when my Mum handed me a huge bag of plums from the tree in her garden accompanied by a recipe for plum gin it was a no-brainer.
I made the gin about a month ago now and it’s already going a lovely purple colour. I’m very excited about decanting it into little bottles ready for the festive season.
You will need:
A large jar
400g of plums
100g of caster sugar
A 70cl or 1 litre bottle of gin
- Check that the plums fill the jar, then take them out and weigh them. This will give you the ratios of sugar that you need for the recipe.
- Prick the plums all over and freeze in a bag overnight (at least) or until you are ready to use them.
- Sterilise the jar and leave it to one side.
- Remove your plums from the freezer to defrost for a bit.
- Pop the plums in the jar and add the sugar.
- Pour over the gin until it reaches the top of the jar (or covers the plums).
- For one week shake the jar until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Store in a dark, cool, frost free place and leave for two months.
- Sieve and bottle the gin.
- Give to unsuspecting family and friends for Christmas. Hahahaha.